Monday, April 05, 2004

Saved! Is MANDATORY VIEWING

I went to the Phoenix Film Festival over the weekend, and while I saw one of the worst movies of my life there (its so shitty that I won't mention it here to prevent you assholes from seeing it out of curiousity), I also saw one of the best- Saved!

Saved! not only bitch slaps the life teen movement in one awesome backhand to the face, it also makes me respect Mandy Moore a tiny bit, and Macauley Culkin as well!! That's goddamn impressive to turn a no talent assclown singer and a freak wannabe actor into half decent on my scale of coolness.

Well Greg- what's so cool you? you say. Well faithful reader, go see the fuckin movie.

Na, I will tell you a bit. Saved! in addition to being a scathing critique on dogmatic religion, basically points out the fact that no matter how much a bunch of teens holding hands and singing kumbaya think otherwise, you can't suddenly turn "religious" into "cool."

For instance a minister walks out on stage and says (I'm paraphrasing):

Who's down with the G O D?

Or later he says

Minister: I am worried about Mary and was thinking that you guys could help her.
Follower: We could shoot her.
Minister: I was thinking of something a little less gansta.


Of course this movie is a comedy- but these people actually exist! (believe me I have seen it first hand ::cough:: see posting on Feb. 9th:: cough::)

Yeah, the movie is amazing.

UPDATE: Saw it again today (June 28th - it's still awesome) I am considering sending a copy to the leaders of my confirmation class when it comes out on DVD. I saw one of the confirmation teens ironically at the same theater, however they were seeing something else. Probably Garfield.

Can you step? Email me.
hckyfn15@aol.com